The following is an edited an expanded version of an article originally appearing in the Record in 1975.
Foundation of the Keble Association
The KA was founded on 21st June 1920, during the Keble College Jubilee celebrations.
The moment was an auspicious one. The Jubilee celebrations of the first 50 years of the College were being held; and at the same time there were strong feelings of relief and hope for a better future. Less than 2 years before – in November 1918 – the Armistice had been signed. Many a Keble graduate must have felt fortunate that he was still alive and able to show his gratitude by making some contribution to the welfare of the College and its future members.
At the meeting held in the quadrangle, the proposed objects of the Keble Association were formally proposed and passed unanimously.
It was agreed, firstly, that help should go to those among them who could not otherwise afford the fees for sons who were academically eligible for admission. Secondly was assistance to Keble alumni and their families who were in need. And thirdly, it was felt that the Association might ‘take a share in Keble affairs; and that by membership, Keble men would be able to keep in touch with each other and with the College.’